My son will be 4months in about a week. he's starting to notice my food, so can i start giving him the stage 1 supported sitter gerber foods?

4 doctors weighed in across 2 answers

Breast/formula first: There is a lot of discussion currently about starting solids as early as 4 months or waiting until 6 months to lower incidence of allergies, etc. What we do know is that his nutrition comes from his milk - not the solids. The most important thing is to ensure he is getting adequate milk (breast or formula) intake, then talk with your pediatrician about when it is best for your baby to start solids.

Answered 5/29/2013

5.1k views

Dr. Oscar Novick answered

Specializes in Pediatrics

Start solids: As a general rule, contrary to the aap, i start my infants on solids somewhere between 13-16 pounds or 3-6 months if a child is hungry. Then too, iron levels reach a nadir between 4-5 months so its a good time to start cereal which if fortified with iron to replace the diminished iron stores.

Answered 9/28/2016

5.1k views