7s surgeries for my back/nerve pain. i have a scs unit and also a pain pump which was found faulty aft 21/2yrs should i get it fixed or meds?

Dr. Sandra Weitz
Anesthesiology 33 years experience
Fix pump?: It depends on how well you think your pain was managed when the pump was working. Unless it gave you very significant relief i probably would not advocate to have it fixed. I would have a conversation with you pain doctor about realistic expectations.
Dr. Llewelyn Williams
Anesthesiology 29 years experience
Less narcotic better: Try to control pain with scs. Long acting narcotics can sensitize you to the pain and make it worse. After 7 back surgeries your options are limited. Focus on life style change and exercise using natural endorphins to help with pain control. May want to also explore some natural remedies. Good luck
Dr. Marshall Bedder
Pain Management 38 years experience
Possibly neither: Two separate implantable devices for pain is not the norm in most sophisticated pain practices. Pain pumps have many complications and can lead to spinal injury with granulomas ( scarring) and resistance to the medications. Spinal meds can cause increased pain secondary to inflammatory changes in the spinal lining. There are some tremendous new options in wave forms in SCS , get a second opinion.
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Pain Management 27 years experience
I would get what you have fixed before changing to anything else.
Apr 29, 2017

Last updated Jun 10, 2017