U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 35-year-old member asked:

My grandparents are 79 and 83 and i want to buy them some vitamins to strengthen their bones. what would you recommend?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Ronald Krauser
A Verified Doctoranswered
Rheumatology 54 years experience
Waste of money: You will be wasting your money. People in that age group should undergo screening bone density studies. If they have osteoporosis then medications that treat this problem should be started. They should also have their vitamin d levels checked by their doctor and start supplements only if the levels are low. Studies now strongly suggest that calcium supplements do not help.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 30-year-old member asked:
Vitamin d what is it good for besides bones?
3 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
A 30-year-old member asked:
Which vitamin helps with bones?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 42-year-old member asked:
What vitamin helps bone health?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 42-year-old member asked:
What vitamins are directly needed for bone growth?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 36-year-old member asked:
Is there diseases in bone caused by food or vitamins?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Last updated Jul 25, 2013
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $44!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.