my throat is really hurting, can i take medicated lozenges?

Dr. Jeff Livingston
Yes: Over the counter throat lozenges are safe to take in pregnancy.
Dr. Farhad Sigari
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 20 years experience
Yes: But if that doesn't help, you might want to be seen and tested for strep.

What should I do if I have a thyroid condition and I want to conceive?

Dr. Megan Bird
Get stable first: Thyroid conditions are common. They don't necessarily mean problems during pregnancy if your condition is treated adequately before and during pregnancy. So get diagnosed and treatment and, once stable, feel free to get pregnant.

My baby has a stiff neck. What is the best position to lay her in?

Dr. Scott Katz
Complicated Question: If your baby has already been examined by their pediatrician, and the stiff neck determined to not be related to meningitis, they should still be put to sleep on their back. When awake, there are certain stretching exercises and positioning that can help, but they should be individualized to your baby. Your doctor or a physical therapist will guide you.
Dr. Tariq Niazi
Dr. Tariq Niazi commented
Orthopedic Surgery 43 years experience
Agree entirely, but a condition called Torticollis when the neck is turned to one side, usually present at birth or it becomes apparent in the first few months. Usually there is a knot at the front of the neck on the side to which the neck is turned. Generally stretching will help. Do get her seen by an orthopedist as well.
Oct 14, 2013

What test is used to diagnose thyroid problems?

Dr. Samuel Freedman
Tests: Thyroid tests include two kinds -- function and physical appearance. One does not exclude the other. Lab testing can tell the function and antibody lab tests can tell inflammation. There are also lab tests for certain tumors. Radiology tests can tell the appearance ie nodules, inflammation, cysts, enlargement.

Will the person be awake with an endotracheal tube in his throat?

Dr. Tracy Berg
General Surgery 32 years experience
General anesthesia : At the end of the procedure, your anesthesia provider emerges you from general anesthesia. Well done there is no awareness of the endotracheal tube for the patient.

What are common thyroid problems?

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Specializes in Endocrinology
Thryoid problems: The three most common thyroid problems are hypothyroid (low function), hyperthyroid (high function) and thyroid nodules. The most common cause of hypothyroidism is hashimoto's thyroid disease. The most common cause of hyperthyroidism is graves' disease. Thyroid nodules are very common and are seen more with advancement of technology. Most thyroid nodules are not cancerous.