Doctors can you tell me when should i use ice and when should i use heat on a sprained ankle?

RICE: Rice. Rest- 24 to 28 hrs. Avoid activities that require use of your ankle. Ice- for first 2 days after injury, apply ice for 15 to 20 minutes every few hours. A bag of frozen peas is good. Compression- you can wrap your foot, ankle & lower leg with an ace wrap. Make sure it is not so tight that it decreases your circulation. Elevate- elevate ankle above your heart. Can prop on a pillow.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.