what to do if i have graves disease and am getting bronchitis. what should i do?

Dr. David Djang
23 years experience Nuclear Medicine
Separate problems.: Separate issues there. Make sure your graves' dz is receiving appropriate therapy, or seek out i-131 ablation. Also, take care of your bronchitis. Limited bronchitis may resolve on its own. Otherwise see your physician about whether or not antibiotics would be helpful. Other medications may be added if you have any underlying lung conditions. Good luck!
Answered on Jul 17, 2013
2
2 comments
1
Dr. David Djang
Dr. David Djang commented
23 years experience Nuclear Medicine
Provided original answer
Thank you for your comment. I did say "receiving appropriate therapy, or seek out I-131..." PTU or methimazole can work fine for some people. Surgery is also an option, though more popular in Europe, and somewhat extreme in my opinion. I-131 doses for Graves's dz are much lower than for thyroid cancer as you would know. The risks you mention for I-131 at those levels are extremely low, and I personally have never seen or heard of them in our practice.
May 22, 2013
Dr. Thomas Namey
48 years experience Rheumatology
Graves disease does not always need 1-131 ablation! I am a board certified Nuc Doc, and many patient can be medically managed! 1-131 Rx will ablate salirary gland function and xause pernicious anemia, because of the non-specificity of the target. Severe patients need this Rx, but many do not.
May 22, 2013