A 36-year-old member asked:

If i am taking labetolol should i not request additional fetal monitoring?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Pam Yoder
Specializes in Maternal-Fetal Medicine
Monitoring - high BP: Fetal heart rate monitoring is indicated in the third trimester for women with chronic hypertension, especially if there is an increase in blood pressure. A physician should discuss what is needed for each particular case given the history before and during pregnancy and outcome of prior pregnancies. Additional monitoring with ultrasound studies may also be ordered.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Shahin Tavackoli
Cardiology 25 years experience
Perhaps: Labetolol can cross the placental barrier, so perhaps more frequent monitoring is warranted.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 23-year-old female asked:
Im 8 weeks pregnant cant find the heartbeat on my fetal doppler monitor.
2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
A 39-year-old member asked:
Is internal fetal monitoring require an invasive procedure?
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
A 37-year-old member asked:
How is intermittent fetal heart monitoring done? I don't want a belt.
2 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
A 43-year-old member asked:
Is it ok to request intermittant fetal monitoring in labor?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 53-year-old member asked:
Can abnormal heart rhythms be detected with weekly fetal monitoring?
2 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
Last updated Nov 7, 2012
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$44 video appointments with $19/month membership*
*Billed $57 every 3 months. Cancel anytime.


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.