NJ

Can you take passionflower if you are taking blood pressure medicine?

Dr. Calvin Weisberger
Cardiology 51 years experience
Passionflower: Like most of these supplements, evidence for what it does is lacking. I would recommend caution and not take it.
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker commented
Holistic Medicine 40 years experience
Passionflower has been safely used for hundreds of years for anxiety and insomnia. I agree that more research would be helpful, but several studies in the modern medical literature show it is safe and effective. Many of my patients have found it to be very helpful. I consider it far safer than pharmaceuticals used for similar purposes such as benzodiazepines and zolpidem. For information on the evidence see http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/passionflower-000267.htm
May 15, 2013
Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine 40 years experience
Yes: Passionflower has been used since ancient times for anxiety and insomnia. Modern medical research has confirmed its safety and effectiveness. It may potentially interact with sedatives, blood thinners and MAO inhibitors but has no known interactions with blood pressure medicines. For more info see http://www.Umm.Edu/altmed/articles/passionflower-000267.Htm.