Canada

how much weight can you loss in a night? i sleep for 9-11 hours a night

Dr. Christopher Wilson
Sleep Medicine 21 years experience
Not much: Less than a pound.
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Alianswered
Weight: Assuming you have no health problems, zero to none.

Can lack of sleep cause my pupils to dilate?

Dr. Nabil Moufarrej
Sleep Medicine 44 years experience
Insomnia: Insomnia can cause a hyper arousable state with increased adrenaline which can cause pupillary dilation.

What are effective weight-loss exercises for an 11-year-old boy?

Dr. Lisa Saponaro
Clinical Psychology 18 years experience
Moderate intensity: All children should be engaged in moderate to high intensity exercise for at least 1 hour of every day. Any exercise your 11 year old will participate in regularly is the best for him. Make sure it is something that keeps his heart rate going. While exercise promotes health and helps in weight loss, it is not enough without improved diet. Check out choosemyplate.Gov for nutritional guidance.

Do detox diets really work for weight loss?

Dr. Janet Greenhut
Preventive Medicine 43 years experience
No: The only thing that works for weight loss in the long term is eating less and being more physically active. Making temporary changes and then going back to usual eating habits will result in gaining back the weight you lost. Check out this site to learn about fad diets: http://www.Eatright.Org/public/.
Tampa, FL

Why does my hands up to my elbow keep going numb and tingly. Also it seems to happen more when i'm driving and sleeping it wakes me up numerous times.?

Dr. Shahid Rafique
Pinched nerve: Pinched nerve at the wrist (carpal tunnel syndrome) is a common cause for such symptoms. However other causes of peripheral neuropathy should be considered and ruled out by history, physical exam and some blood tests. Diabetes, thyroid disease and some medications are common causes. I suggest you discuss with your pcp.

How can a pre diabetic person with BMI < 18 gain healthy weight? I have lost 5 lbs since diagnosis.

Dr. Keegan Duchicela
BMI is a guide...: And not necessarily an absolute measure of health. If you're doctor is saying you must gain weight because of your low bmi, then you should focus on eating lean, healthy proteins like fish, chicken and turkey, and doing some resistance exercise (weights, etc). If this is a big concern, i'd strongly recommend working with a nutritionist (along w. Your pcp)- they can be a big help.

Last updated May 19, 2013