Hypothyroidism and high cholesterol on medicine for both. I can't get cholesterol down or lose weight. I diet and exercise. Any ideas?

Dr. Randy Baker
39 years experience in Holistic Medicine
More thyroid!: Many if not most doctors under-treat hypothyroidism because they were incorrectly taught a normal TSH means adequate treatment. Most people need T3 (liothyronine) as well as t4. Adequate thyroid should lower cholesterol as well as help you lose weight. But it may not be necessary to lower your cholesterol- research suggests women with high chol. Live longer than those with low choleaterol! see comment for more:.
Answered on Jan 15, 2015
5
5 comments
3
Dr. Brad Eilerman
19 years experience in Endocrinology
Beware of conspiracy laden "literature" that fails to meet the rigors of peer review. An inflammatory name like "thyroid madness" is a clue
Apr 30, 2013
Provided original answer
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker commented
Dr. Ellerman, I agree that the title is inflammatory but many patients are justifiably angry that their thyroid problems are not being properly diagnosed and treated. I realize that the author is not a medical professional but she presents information that I believe is reliable and provides links to good information from experts like David Derry MD PhD. But I never recommend not monitoring. I carefully check Free T3, Free T4 and TSH on all my patients who need thyroid hormone. But I do not believe a normal TSH is evidence that someone is on adequate treatment. Many of my patients have a "normal" TSH despite having a low Free T3 or a free T3 at the low end of the normal range. I find few of my patients have good symptomatic relief until their Free T3 gets into the upper half of the normal range and that rarely happens for those treated only with levothyroxine.
Apr 30, 2013
Dr. Brad Eilerman
19 years experience in Endocrinology
Dr. Baker, the problem is "if it feels good then do it" cannot be our guiding principal in medical therapy. There is a consequence to disturbing the carefully balanced system of feedback in the body. Remember, T4 to T3 conversion is a mechanism of regulation. It takes a good amount of evidence to warrant ignoring that fact.
May 2, 2013