what are the symptoms of a vitamin b12 defiency?

Dr. Rowena Desailly-chanson
Neurology 27 years experience
Memory,nerve damage: Neurologically, memory issues and tingling in the feet or even spinal cord problems.

Do I have to feed my baby formula to make sure he is getting the right vitamins?

Dr. Kathleen Forcier
Specializes in General Practice
Yes: Breastmilk is a near perfect food for baby. The only thing it's missing is vitamin d, so breast fed babies should get 400 iu of vitamin d a day (1 ml of poly-vi-sol or d-vi-sol). As long as mom is eating a healthful diet and your pediatrician thinks your baby is growing well, you shouldn't have to supplement with formula. Around 4-6 months start giving your baby rice cereal for extra iron.

How do I choose a pre-natal vitamin?

Dr. Jeff Livingston
The one you like: There are hundreds of brands of prenatal vitamins. My suggestion to patients is to try a few and find one you like. The best vitamin is the one you will actually take. All contain Folic Acid which is important. Some contain stool softeners which is helpful for pregnancy constipation. Some contain DHA so you do not have to take a separate pill.

Is it safe to take vitamin C while pregnant?

Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Yes: In recommended standard doses, yes. You probably already have enough in your prenatal vitamin. Taking "more" vitamins and minerals in the form of supplements does not improve health.

Is it possible to take too many prenatal vitamin?

Dr. Megan Bird
Yes: Prenatal vitamins contain a few vitamins that you can take too much off. Vitamin a is the biggest concern. In addition, most vitamins contain iron which can make you constipated.

What is the best vitamin C supplement?

Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine 40 years experience
Lypo-Spheric C: Until recently i would have said most vitamin c is created equal, but a relatively new formulation called lypo-spheric c is much better absorbed and can cross cell membranes better. See http://www.Livonlabs.Com/ it is pricier than other forms of c, but if you are motivated you can make your own liposomal vit c at home: see http://www.Quantumbalancing.Com/liposomalc.Htm.
Dr. Peter Nefcy
Dr. Peter Nefcy commented
Radiology 39 years experience
After searching on their web sites, I can tell anyone who is interested that Lypo-Spheric C does not contain ANY vitamin C. Sodium ascorbate sold as "vitamin C" is not vitamin C and does not have all the components of complete vitamin C. It may be digested easier, but will not help your health or well being. The same is true for most ascorbic acid and sodium acetate products sold in the USA.
Apr 26, 2016