What does the cloudy white spot on my babys eye mean?

4 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Lisa Roberts answered

Specializes in Pediatrics

Could be a problem: Any cloudy spots in the eye should be checked by your doctor. If the eye is cloudy, tearing excessively and your baby is very sensitive to the light, that could be a sign of infantile glaucoma (a rare, but serious eye problem). Another possibility is a congenital cataract (some may blur your baby's vision). Another thing to watch is if your baby is tracking you with both eyes or not.

Answered 5/24/2018

6.6k views

Dr. James Ferguson answered

Specializes in Pediatrics

Usually a problem : Extent & location helps define the issue. A cataract can be cloudy or pure white located in center of the lens.Fluid pressure can make the clear front of the eye cloudy. A whitish tissue bump called a dermoid may be present as the globe joins the cornea. Allergies can swell the globe covering & produce a lumpy whitish glob. Lids have other issues. See your doctor to be sure.

Answered 10/24/2017

6.5k views

Dr. Jodi Luchs answered

Specializes in LASIK Surgery

Prompt evaluation: A white spot on the eye is not normal and requires prompt evaluation. The sooner the better. There are many possible causes, and prompt attention is required.

Answered 8/24/2019

4.9k views