Why do women cramp in early stages of pregnancy before they even miss they first period?

Dr. Wilson Huang
28 years experience
Implantation bleed: Some women may experience menstrual cramps in early stages of pregnancy as result of 'implantation bleed', as the embryo implants into the lining of the uterus. The small of amount of bleeding may irritate the uterus and may cause the uterine discomfort.
Dr. Jeff Livingston
May not be true: I am not aware of studies suggesting that this premise is true. I am sure some feel cramps as cramping in the general population is very common. After many years of treating pregnant women anecdotally I would say I do not hear this particular complaint that often.
Last updated Mar 22, 2016