A member asked:

I was feeding my toddler & 6 month old baby. i accidentally gave my 6 month old the food i was feeding the toddler which had raw honey. i quickly took it out his mouth & cleaned him up as much as i could. i'm not sure if he swallowed a small amount?

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers

The honey issue is because there are sometimes spores of botulism in the mix. Older kids have a gut that passes them through, but under 1 year a rare case of infant botulism can occur if spores start a germ colony in their gut. As long as baby keeps up a normal life pattern of vigorous feeding/play/normal rest I wouldn't worry about it.

Answered 10/16/2022

0 views

Thank
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh answered

Specializes in Pediatric Allergy and Asthma

I agree, there is a low probability of Botulism. Honey though is best to avoid until older. Honey infant cough syrup is an exception. Watch for signs of weakness and please follow up.

Answered 10/22/2022

0 views

Thank

Related Questions