U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 67-year-old male asked:

Had persistent bleeding from ears after nurse removed wax with curette. both ear canals have been blocked for 2 days. saw family md - noted swelling, couldn't see ear drum, referred me to ent. could take weeks to get appt. any self-help can i do now?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Internal Medicine 31 years experience
Is there blood in the ear canal or do you still have impacted ear wax? Do you have any signs/symptoms of ear infection? If not, you could try mineral oil ear drops to your ear canals-this will soften whatever is blocking the ear canal (assuming it is either blood or ear wax-ask your family practice doc). Your family practice doc can prescribe this to use until ENT sees you, assuming no infection.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Donald Colantino
Internal Medicine 63 years experience
I agree with Dr. F's advice but will recommend that if you're experiencing continued bleeding,pus drainage or significant pain, proceed to an Eye& Ear clinic in a university hospital which usually sees walk in emergencies. Hopefully there is such a facility near you. Otherwise go to the local ER. They may be able to aspirate,not irrigate,impacted wax or call in an ENT if felt advisable
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Aug 26, 2022


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.