FL

my mom purses her lips together as if they are constantly dry. i say habit is from heavy jowls due to aging. (age 70) all md tests are negative. ?

Dr. Emily Altman
Dermatology 28 years experience
Lip pursing: The question is whether the lips look pursed all the time or just once in a while. As the person ages, the soft tissues and bones of the face lose volume, so the skin sags down without support which gives a look of lip pursing. With pursed lips, you can see wrinkles around the mouth. If lips look pursed and there are no wrinkles, then person needs to be evaluated for sclerosing condition of skin.