U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 83-year-old female asked:

I'm an 84 year-old-woman with symptoms of b12 deficiency, but a serum level of 1250 ng/l. folate 41.2 ng/ml, homocysteine 13.1 umol/l. could the problem be with transport into the cells? if so, how can it be tested?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Gurmukh Singh
Pathology 50 years experience
What symptoms do you have? With the data you provided you are not deficient in B12 and there no known causes that would interfere with entry of B12 into cell. It may help to talk to the doctor who ordered these tests. Wish you good health!
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jun 30, 2022


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.