Are there any tests that can tell whether hip bursitis has turned septic? excruciating pain while on max dose nsaid, nausea, sweats/chills, feeling sick overall, but no fever or local redness & swelling?

2 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Jeffrey Trantalis, DPM answered

Specializes in Podiatry

It is difficult to tell you if your hip is infected or not. You didn’t specify the possible cause of your problem and pain. You didn’t specify your activity that causes this type of pain. However if your hip pain is caused from an overuse injury then I would consider seeing a podiatrist for evaluation for a biomechanical exam. Otherwise I would see your family doctor. To determine infection

Answered 5/26/2022

0 views

Dr. Daniel Ziegler answered

Specializes in Emergency Medicine

What you describe could very well be a septic hip which is a serious diagnosis and needs to be confirmed or ruled out right away. Go to the emergency room today. If they tell you its not a septic hip without drawing blood, scanning your hip, or tapping the joint you should ask them why they are so sure. While this used to be mostly seen in kids we are seeing it increasingly in adult populations.

Answered 5/26/2022

0 views