U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 33-year-old female asked:

I have a friend thats newly diagnosed with wilsons disease. she has a hematologist, she has a gastro and a cardiologist. what type of specialist would she need to manage/treat her wilsons disease? shes feeling at loss & scared?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Bennett Machanic
Neurology 53 years experience
Would assume that her three specialists would be quite adequate, and if specific issues worsen, am confident of appropriate referrals if needed. A big issue with chronic disorders, is the emotional adjustments needed to confidently cope. She may well benefit from a cognitive behavioral therapy approach from a skilled psychologist. Discuss this with her.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Silviu Pasniciuc
Internal Medicine 28 years experience
Would recommend a primary care doc that can address other needs and coordinate properly between specialists as there are multiple clinical variants. Ultimately, a specialist in metabolic disorders at a tertiary teaching institution with focus on Wilson disease may be needed.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Apr 22, 2022


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.