U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 18-year-old male asked:

My brother is 16 but turning 17 in april. the doctors said that his bone age is 18, but hes 52. he asked if he should get those height growth pills from the store so he can grow taller. should he or no?

1 doctor answer • 2 doctors weighed in
Dr. James Ferguson
Pediatrics 47 years experience
A bone age of 18 corresponds to the point where growth centers in the long bones have closed. When the growth centers are closed, no growth pills, diet, exercise program or other action will help him grow taller. He can get them if he wants but it will be a waste of time and money. The side effects of any such products may be dangerous.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Mar 10, 2022


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.