I am taking 3-100mg morphine ER daily for chronic back pain after surgeries. In the 30 days price went from $92/90 to $295/90. Alternatives/ideas?

Dr. Douglas Linville II
29 years experience in Orthopedic Spine Surgery
Postop pain : Find out why you're hurting with a thorough workup by a spine surgeon comfortable dealing with complex problems. If a treatable cause is not identified, consider a pain stimulator. Pain pump as a next line option. I relegated to chronic narcotics, talk to your pharmacist about alternatives on your insurance. Methadone is generally cheap.
Answered on Jan 21, 2017
1
3
Dr. Abdallah Kabbara
22 years experience in Pain Management
I am a chronic pain physician that deals with similar patient on daily basis , and i can tell you than i don't have not any patient today on 300 mg of morphine.I strongly believe in low dose opioid if ever. My recommendations are to be established with a well reputable fellowship trained pain physician to be weaned of morphine and discuss alternative treatments modalities.I invite you to read about opioid induced hyperalgesia, in simple short words, the morphine daily use becomes a source of pain , not a pain killer , secondary to changes in the nervous system triggered by the daily dose, reversal of this phenomena require treatment under the care of a specialist to wean you off morphine and introduce you to other modalities. If the pain is going down the legs the spinal cord stimulator makes a great options for many patient who had surgery and failed the treatment.
Apr 21, 2013