A 31-year-old female asked:

Can ra, adenomyosis (causes clotting) or a ruptured baker's cyst cause elevated d-dimer. 2 us and neither found clot. lump behind right knee, edema in calf and foot. can't fully extend. no warmth or discoloration. feels like water running down leg?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Donald Colantino
Internal Medicine 63 years experience
This scenario certainly suggests that a ruptured Baker's cyst is quite likely. I believe that Inflammatory processes like RA or clotting from adenomyosis can cause elevation of d dimer. In my opinion an MRI would most likely demonstrate the responsible issue with your leg. Discuss this with your MD or attending physician who could speak to the radiologist.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Silviu Pasniciuc
Internal Medicine 29 years experience
Yes, a ruptured Baker’s cyst can cause above symptoms and is common in RA. D-dimer is a non specific test that will not help at this point in further sorting out the diagnosis. The sensation of water running down the leg suggests a local neuropathy due to compression.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Oct 9, 2021


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.