why am i having numness in ny finger?

Dr. Glenn Skow
Depends: Unfortunately it depends on which fingers you are having numbness. For instance, the tips of the pinky, ring finger and middle finger may feel this way with carpal tunnel. In either case, numbness usually comes from a compressed nerve.
Dr. Jason Torrente
See your primary care physician or an orthopedist to obtain an EMG/NCV to aid in the diagnosis of which nerve may be compressed. Sometimes injections can be helpful but many times requires surgery for treatment.
Jan 25, 2012
Dr. Michael Aron
Hand Surgery 33 years experience
Carpal tunnel: Carpal tunel syndrome is the most commen cause for numbness in the hands but there are many other things which could be causing that including a pinched nerve in the neck or elbow.
Dr. F. Thomas Kaplan
Hand Surgery 25 years experience
Carpal or cubital: Carpal tunnel, or median nerve compression, causes numbness in the thumb, index, middle and thumb side of the ring finger. Cubital tunnel, a pinched ulnar nerve at the elbow, causes numbness in the small finger and the small finger side of the ring finger.
Dr. Michael Raemisch
Hand Surgery 24 years experience
Nerve Problem: Numbness is typical of a nerve problem. The most common "nerve problem" causing numbness in the hand/fingers is probably carpal tunnel syndrome. Sometimes when only one finger is numb, it may raise suspicion of a pinched nerve in the neck (peyton manning).