FL

I have low vitamin d level of 17. my doctor prescribed me 50,000 unit cap one by mouth weekly. isnt that too much vitamin d? i read where youre only supposed to take 2,000 a day. im already having heart palpitations and high blood pressure?

Pathology 49 years experience
50,000 units/week for 3 months would replenish your stores. You may take 4000 units a day for as long as you like without risk of toxicity. It is better to take vitamin D3 than D2. Wish you good health!
Dr. Troy Ross
Occupational Medicine 24 years experience
While there is some controversy about the ideal vitamin D level (40-60ng/ml likely is best), 17 is very low. There is a big difference between a maintenance dose (2000-5000 IU/day) vs. what is needed to raise a deficient level. With a deficient level, taking 50,000 IU once per week is a reasonable way to boost your levels safely. It would be important to repeat the lab test in about 3 months.

Last updated Jun 10, 2021