United Kingdom

Wbc 10.4 ( limit was 10 for lab ) and rdw was 14.6 ( limit for lab was 14 ) could this be caused by my steroid inhaler for asthma ? tests done to check for asthma triggers ie allergies?

Dr. Hiep Le
Dr. Hiep Leanswered
Nephrology and Dialysis 42 years experience
WBC and RDW are not related. RDW is Red cell Distribution Width which has nothing to do with the WBC. Blood test was done to see if you have eosinophilia. If you have eosinophilia (high eosinophil, the particular white cell involves in allergic process), you may have extrinsic asthma (asthma caused by allergy). I doubt if 10.4 WBC is caused by steroid inhaler, this number is not quite abnormal.
Pathology 49 years experience
All laboratory results need to be interpreted in the clinical context and the doctor who ordered the tests is usually in the best position to do that. Talk to the doctor who ordered the tests. Having said that, your results are not a cause for concern. Wish you good health!

Last updated May 22, 2021