U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 25-year-old male asked:

I just got blood work done and noticed my bilirubin and alt level were slightly elevated. alt 48u/l & bilirubin, total 1.9mg/dl. should i be concerned my this and what should i do to reduce it?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Bennett Machanic
Neurology 54 years experience
Not necessarily a problem at this point, but you could ask about Gilbert's syndrome. If you drink alcohol or use recreational drugs, one or the other may affect liver function, and could be stopped for 60 days, and blood studies repeated. Discuss all of this with the doctor who ordered the blood studies. No urgent action needed currently but glad you are proactive.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Gurmukh Singh
Pathology 51 years experience
Agree with Dr. Mechanic: If you drink alcohol, stop entirely, do not take acetaminophen. Do not take any street drugs. Discuss it with your doctor and retest in 3-6 months. For healthy diet: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/., exercise 30 minutes/day, drink enough water daily so your urine is mostly colorless, have safe sex, no tobacco alcohol weed or street drugs. Get HPV and Covid vaccines.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated May 4, 2021


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.