MA

Im almost 17w. a ob resident in the er examined my cervix & said it was less than a finger open which was good. i only ever had my cervix examined on ultrasound. was it okay for her to do a pelvic exam? can it cause miscarriage in anyway?

Dr. John Berryman
Cervial exam ?'s: It is generally not current practice to perform a manual pelvic exam for an asymptomatic pregnancy at "17w", since ultrasound determinations are sufficient in addition to lab tests for assurance of appropriate growth of the pregnancy. An OB resident will perform manual exams, but this is b/c of the "learning experience" in residency, however it is not harmful if done under sterile conditions.
Last updated Feb 27, 2021