Australia

I have a ventriculoperitoneal (vp) shunt for hydrocephalus recently ive been getting stitch like pain where the tubing is in my stomach its that bad it feels like ive had the surgery again and hurts to move what is going on?

Dr. Arnold Lentnek
Dr. Arnold Lentnekanswered
Infectious Disease 54 years experience
Perhaps infection: You may (MAY) be having a “stitch abscess” adjacent to the abdominal portion of the VP shunt. In and of itself this is not serious but if its infected, the infection can spread up the shunt and ultimately cause a very serious, life threatening infection (ventriculitis). Need a specialist (Neurosurg, ID,) to physically look at ASAP
Neurology 53 years experience
Contact neurosurgeon: No way I can tell you "what is going on", but would suggest you contact the neurosurgeon and have this directly looked at. Things can change over time, and you may need revisional intervention.
Last updated Feb 2, 2021