ZA

hi, i have been sick with covid for 3 weeks now, and am really struggling with my chest. i cough myself awake at night. my oxygen is 97 on the oximeter. what can i do to get rid of the sticky phlegm inside my lungs?

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatric Pulmonology 36 years experience
Chest physiotherapy: A cool air mist humidifier, changing positions while awake and asleep may be helpful. If you cup your palms and gently tap your chest in different areas, this is chest physiotherapy and my relieve your symptoms. Avoid cough suppression except to allow sleep. Stay home, drink fluids and rest If you develop air hunger, gasping and fever, please see the Emergency Department.
Neurology 52 years experience
OTC approach: Besides the prior excellent advice, would add a way to loosen mucus and phlegm. Mucinex or guiafenesin, can break up congestion and decrease coughing. May benefit both lungs and sinuses.