Minneapolis, MN

for the past couple of months, i've had loose stools in the morning that look torn up and often crumble in the water with mucus floating, even after being on a full bland diet with no triggering foods. gi doc doesn't want to do a stool test. ideas?

Dr. Donald Colantino
Loose stools in AM: I'm not sure why the gastroenterologist doesn't want stool testing to check for intestinal malabsorption or check the fecal calprotectin level. Perhaps he/she feels you simply have an irritable bowel rather than something like pancreatic insufficiency or inflammatory bowel disease. If you're not troubled the rest of the day, taking dicyclomine before breakfast could help. ?2nd opinion.