Can i take metronidazole that the use before date is 2/7/20 for a current bv infection?

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Donald Colantino answered

Specializes in Internal Medicine

Expired: I would check with your pharmacist. Many medications, but not all,are still effective months or years after their expiration date, but physicians are reluctant to recommend using them for medicolegal reasons. I don't recommend treating serious medical conditions, like infections, with expired antibiotics.

Answered 9/19/2020

43 views

Dr. Steven Simon answered

Specializes in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation

Drug is ok.: While the drug is therapeutic, do speak with your HCP to determine that this problem is what you think it is, and that you have enough medicine for a complete course of treatment for you and possibly for your partner. The use by dates are set for 100% efficacy if stored properly. There may be some degradation but it should not be significant if stored correctly in this time frame.

Answered 9/18/2020

43 views