Oakland, CA

My total protein is high, and calcium borderline high. all of my other labs including hematology are normal. would there likely be something else off on labs if this were cancer? total protein: 8.4. calcium: 10.3. both have been increasing though.

Dr. Donald Colantino
Total protein: You don't mention the serum albumin & globulin levels. Your total protein and calcium levels are slightly elevated and your physician is best to advise you about their significance & follow-up tests, but early multiple myeloma can raise both those levels. A serum electrophoresis test would be the next test to determine whether multiple myeloma is a possibility. Discuss this with your physician.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Pathology 51 years experience
Agree with Dr. C: All laboratory results need to be interpreted in the clinical context and the doctor who ordered the tests is usually in the best position to do that. Talk to the doctor who ordered the tests. Having said that, a serum protein electrophoresis examination is warranted for a screening test for abnormalities of serum proteins. Serum free light chain assay is not needed. Wish you good health!
Last updated Sep 2, 2020