U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 17-year-old female asked:

It says i am clinically depressed and even my therapist says so but my parents refuse to let me take medications or bring me to therapy and i dont know what i should do because im really sad.

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. James Ferguson
Pediatrics 47 years experience
Find an advocate: I would find an advocate at school, church or other source & relate your worries and the position of your parents. In many states this is viewed as neglect & school or healthcare workers are required to report it to the child neglect hotline. At 18 many states regard you as an adult who can seek out those treatments without parent consent.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 26 years experience
Psychotherapy: Many therapists are now providing telemedicine sessions. As such you might not need to have rides to therapy sessions. Since your current therapist says you are depressed, why do you ask her/him for ideas about easier access.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jul 9, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.