Im breastfeeding my 3 month and i want to dye my hair and get keratin treatment. is it safe for my baby and does it reach the breastmilk? also my mom will be doing her hair so i will be taking breaks to breastfeed my baby is that okay?

Dr. Yvette Kratzberg
Safe-get a sitter: While information about hair treatments while breastfeeding is limited, it's thought to be fine to dye your hair while you are breastfeeding. Very little of the chemicals used in hair dye enter your bloodstream, so it's very unlikely that a significant amount will be passed on through your breast milk. BUT, do not take your baby to the hair salon. The vapors/fumes can cause breathing problems!

Last updated Jun 15, 2020