VA

I have peripheral artery disease and suffer from vasculitis. why is it when carry something like a bag of groceries up steps i cant seem to raise my leg to get to the next step,but when i put the bag down i dont have a problem. i dont understand why?

Dr. Yvette Kratzberg
Extra weight: Vasculitis can result in muscle weakness because of the decreased blood flow (oxygenation) to the local muscles. When you carry extra weight, you are fatigueing your muscles at a faster rate and they will be unable to continue functioning for long. Without the extra weight, your muscles can accomplish more movement. Try using a rolling bin that you can pull up the stairs instead of carrying bags.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jun 3, 2020