is it normal to bleed over 10 days after my period? i have an extremely light period. however, my period always lasts so long. i got an iud a year ago & ever since my period has been super light but super long. is this normal?

Dr. Cynthia Bergmann
41 years experience Obstetrics and Gynecology
No: It is common with the copper IUD to have longer and heavier periods. With the hormonal IUD you get lighter and generally shorter periods. Frequently they will disappear altogether. As you are bleeding for 10 days at a time (way too long!) and have had the IUD for over a year, contact the provider who put in the IUD. At a minimum, you need a blood count and ultrasound. Good luck!
Answered on Apr 23, 2020