San Jose, CA

My ear has a popping or clicking noise on the left side when hearing sound on the right side of the ear (like on cell phone or person talking to me on the right). what could this be? is it normal sometimes?

Dr. Klaus Appel
See below: I'm not ENT. But I know both eardrums will react to the same sound, which is why you hear it in the other ear. The clicking may be some fluid build up behind the eardrum called an effusion, which can be from eustachian tube dysfunction or an infection. If no pain, unlikely to be an infection. Look up eustachian tube dysfunction and try some of the remedies, or it may just go away
Dr. Vahe Yetimyan
General Practice 51 years experience
Eustachian tubes?: It may well be eustachian tubes dysfunction on one side or both sides. Check this web sites for a detailed information. https://www.healthline.com/health/eustachian-tube-dysfunction
Dr. Donald Colantino
Popping,clicking: This can be due to the eustachian tube, which runs from the back of the nose to the middle ear, allows air to enter the ear if there's some clogging in the ear canal in order to equalize pressure.. If it happens repeatedly or if your left ear feels blocked, have a physician examine your ear to see if there's a wax buildup.

Last updated Jul 24, 2020