Is betamethasone cream safe to use for my two month old that has itchy red rash on his face & neck?

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Deborah Ungerleider answered

Specializes in Pediatrics

It depends : If his doctor prescribed it, then I would recommend using it as prescribed (usually for a limited time period). However, if not, please have his doctor check him & make a recommendation. Sometimes we recommend an over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream & moisturizers first.

Answered 3/11/2020

96 views

Dr. Holly Maes answered

Specializes in Pediatrics

No: Betamethasone is too strong of a steroid to use on such a young baby on the face. If you really need to use a steroid cream, need something not as potent. A 2 month old has very sensitive and thin skin on the face, and using something too strong can cause big problems. Would recommend non-steroidal treatments for the rash. Talk to your pediatrician for suggestions of non-steroidal alternatives.

Answered 3/11/2020

94 views