Oak Ridge, TN
A 37-year-old female asked about a 36-year-old member:

can it be normal to have leg cramps or spasms everyday mostly when at rest - such as laying down? i drink plenty of water. i dont know what else can be checked as my potassium & magnesium were normal. b vitamins werent checked. frustrating

Dr. Donald Colantino
Leg cramps: Since we can only measure extracellular potassium and magnesium we can't be sure if intracellular levels are ok. That is why I still recommend trying a magnesium and/or potassium supplement. Your pharmacist can recommend one. Calcium deficiency can also cause recurrent muscle cramping. To prevent calf cramps, perform calf muscle stretching before bedtime. Tight muscles are prone to cramping.