U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 32-year-old female asked:

I have had a wart/bump on my cheek next to nose for years. the dermatologist previously said it is nothing to worry about, but it recently stood more raised and had a dark spot on it. should i see a gp or a dermatologist?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Robert Kwok
Pediatrics 34 years experience
Primary care doctor: Usually, a patient sees her primary care doctor first. Her doctor can refer out to a dermatologist if needed. However, there is no problem if she goes to see a dermatologist directly (but some insurance plans won't cover specialist visits without first having a primary care visit).

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Jan 6, 2020
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.