San Jose, CA
A 64-year-old member asked about a 37-year-old female:

can eating only 1200 calories as a woman a day cause weight loss? i walk about a mile a day. my appetite has been bad since on cefdinir for past week for sinus. im not sure if related. i lost almost two pounds since last physical a month ago

Yes: A low-calorie diet speeds up weight loss. If a person eats fewer calories than she needs to live on each day, her body will use the stored fuel (fat). If a person exercises more than she did before, but does not start eating more calories, then her body will also use up the stored fat. That said, a middle-aged adult with unexplained weight loss should see her doctor to make sure things are ok.
Dr. Moris Girgis
2 pounds in one mont: 2 pounds in one month, more related to the change in the appetite from the medicine, 1200 calories daily considered important to be followed closely by physician, to monitor loss of essentials or significant loss of weight.