Lebanon, Missouri

I had some constipation so my dr said to do a miralax gatorade prep. i chose red because im not doing a colonoscopy. my colon is clean but the liquid coming out is red. its been several times now. could this be the gatorade or is it blood?

Dr. Clarene Cress
Specializes in Pediatrics
Likely food dye: If you are not having severe cramping or passing clumps of mucous, the red color is most likely from the dye in the Gatorade. It should clear in a day or two. Bleeding high in the intestine usually gives a black color, and blood in the distal colon or rectum is usually stringy and mixed with mucous and stool and the watery part of diarrhea is not red.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Oct 14, 2019