U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 38-year-old female asked:

Do i get to see a psychologist as part of my therapy for bipolar mood disorder type 1?

2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Amandeep Kaur
Family Medicine 11 years experience
Yes: You must see a psychologist as well. Ask your doctor for a referral to a psychologist.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Timothy Benik
Pediatrics 8 years experience
Counseling : You’ll see someone for counseling, whether it’s a psychologist or social worker. Most psychiatrists only do medication management and leave the counseling/therapy to another professional.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 44-year-old member asked:
What is the best medication or best treatment we can get for bipolar affective disorder?
4 doctor answers11 doctors weighed in
A 39-year-old male asked:
How can cognitive behavioral therapy cure affection bipolar disorder?
1 doctor answer5 doctors weighed in
A 44-year-old member asked:
How effective is electroconvulsive shock therapy for bipolar and psychotic disorder?
2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
A 41-year-old member asked:
If you have bipolar illness do you see a psychiatrist or a psychologist?
4 doctor answers11 doctors weighed in
Last updated Oct 16, 2019


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.