Newark, NJ

i picked up c-diff from the hospital i spent a month being treated in. the gastroenterologist has had me on vancomycn, and dificid. stool tests after each showed positive for c-diff. my dr. is sending a 3rd drug to me over the weekend. is there any c?

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Infectious Disease 53 years experience
C diff treatment: Sounds like your doctor is handling this just right. C difficile bacteria vary in their antibiotic sensitivity, i.e. which drug(s) will be effective. When it doesn't respond to a particlar treatment, like vancomycin, other antibiotics are needed. Take the new prescription as directed; check back with your doctor if any continuing concerns or further questions. Good luck!