ZA

how can i avoid lymphedema after breast surgery and removal of four sentinel nodes ?

Dr. Sharon Ann Clark
Plastic Surgery 41 years experience
Use but avoid trauma: The risk of lymphedema of the arm increases after any event that causes swelling of the arm. Ex.a cut on the hand can get infected & cause the cycle to begin of inflammation. Because the lymphatics work less well, that can start the cycle of lymphedema. Thus, take good care of your hand & arm skin, avoid lacerations or skin breakdown, elevate the hand & arm & use the hand to grip & pinch often