A 33-year-old member asked:

Which type of medicine do you get for knee arthritis?

1 doctor answer4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Stephen Quinnan
21 years experience
NSAIDs : Assuming the arthritis being asked about is osteoarthritis.....The most common first line medicine is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (nsaid). Many fall in this category including naprosyn, (naproxen) ibuprofen, diclfenac, etc. If these medications and physical therapy fail, then injections with local anesthetics and corticosteroids are often recommended.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 31-year-old member asked:
Is it possible to get arthritis from a knee to hip?
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
A 44-year-old member asked:
What to do if I have knee arthritis. What medicine works best to relieve pain and inflammation?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 33-year-old member asked:
Is it common to get arthritis from a knee contusion?
2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Last updated Jul 10, 2015

People also asked

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$44 video appointments with $19/month membership*
*Billed $57 every 3 months. Cancel anytime.


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.