U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 57-year-old male asked:

An optometrist diagnosed my daughter with an occular allergy and feels that fml eyedrops should be prescribed. can a gp give me a script for fml?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jon Fishburn
Ophthalmology 31 years experience
Not fml: Far safer is a topical antihistamine eye drop for ocular allergies. I rarely start with a topical steroid (fml) for this diagnosis. Infrequent exceptions due occur but initial treatment should be an antihistamine. Zaditor eye drops are available without prescription. Also I believe your GP could have similar advice, but try the OTC Zaditor first.
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology 53 years experience
See ophthalmologist: Always worrisome when an optometrist prescribes steroids with their very limited knowledge. Given your age, I suspect your daughter is an adult. She should make an appointment with an ophthalmologist and get a proper diagnosis and treatment. A GP can give you an FML prescription, but this might not be the proper treatment in this case.
Last updated Jan 18, 2018


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.