what can cause hand swelling for a diabetic old woman?

Dr. Richard Makowiec
Hand Surgery 27 years experience
Need more info: A variety of things can cause hand swelling in an “old woman” and this probably warrants further evaulation by your physician. Some common things are: Arthritis, gout, trauma or injury, tendinitis, ganglion cysts, giant cell tumors. As I said, this could likely be rapidly sorted out with a brief physical exam and an x-ray.
Dr. Steven Simon
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 38 years experience
Several: Infection, trauma, ( warm, discolored) blood clot preventing drainage among others. Often the leg and occasionally arm muscles may not be strong enough to reverse gravity dependent fluid (when hand is held below heart for prolonged time) you can help this by making certain the hand is either supported above the heart ( on pillow) for gravity assist with drainage or at night level with the body.