AU

I wanted to stop my period as i am going on holidays and the doctor gave me provera i started taking it but still have period pain, is that normal?

Dr. Lori Lange
Specializes in Family Medicine
Yes: What is the reason you want to stop your period? Provera stops the bleeding. It will not stop period pain. Maybe there was a misunderstanding in what you wanted. Usually medication is not used to change periods for convenience as your period is hormonally dependant. Can't just schedule it so to speak.
Dr. John Berryman
Provera: Provera is synthetic progesterone. It depends on when in your cycle you start it as to the effect on your normal cycle. Starting Provera at the onset of a regular period will not stop the cramping, etc. Taking Provera will often stop the onset of a period if taken just after a period ends ( i.e., stops the next period from occurring, but may still be accompanied by some cramps and discharge.

Last updated Nov 27, 2017