Occasionally I get a squeezing pain on the right side of my abdomen. It is relieved by drinking water and then belching. Any idea what this is??

Dr. Donald Colantino
60 years experience in Internal Medicine
Unusual: Pain in the center of the chest relieved by drinking water is characteristic of esophageal spasm, but I haven't encountered this syndrome suggesting transient spasm in the abdomen. It's possibly a gas bubble in the intestine or transient gall bladder spasm since it's centered on the right side of the abdomen. It would be interesting to hear a gastroenterologist's opinion.
Answered on Nov 24, 2017